Monday, March 06, 2006

The Roe v. Wade Challenge

South Dakota has recently made criminal the practice of aborting a fetus, except in cases where the mothers life is at risk. Instances of rare birth defects and incest will not be considered exceptions to the ban.

Of-course this type of state defiance to the Roe decision could have been foreseen with the recent nominations and subsequent confirmations of Justices Roberts and Alito. South Dakota and other states that might eventually follow suit are going to test the waters of the more conservitive Supreme Court.

Although it seems the religious right in this country would rather see abortions take place in dark alleys with coat hangers for forceps instead of in clinics with sterile instruments, I support their right to make decisions governing there own local geographic locations. Because when you get to the heart of the Roe decision, it was basically a slam against state's rights. I support the right of the states to make there own decisions, as stupid as they may be, about these matters. People of small local areas coming together deciding on laws that reflect their culture and values are exhibiting the kind of activity that contributes to a free society.

Of-course the ideal situation would be to have all the governing be done at a level even more local than the states. Back in 1993 Murray Rothbard wrote, "Pro-choice paleos should hope that Roe v. Wade is someday overthrown, and abortion questions go back to the state and local levels-the more decentralized the better." Perhaps this is the beginning of the overthrow of Roe that will bring about the decentralization of state power in Washington that we paleo and left-libertarians have been waiting for.

4 comments:

Elle said...

I agree with you on this. I am not an avid supported of abortion as I believe morality cannot be legislated. However, the court was legislating morality when they ruled on Roe V. Wade. It is a states rights issue. I thank you for posting Rothbard's thoughts on the matter (because I agree completely). Are you like me in that you like BOTH Rand and Rothbard? I started as a HUGE Rand fan but now am finding that I side more with Rothbard.

Brewrunner said...

Thank you for your thoughts.

I definetely built my libertarian roots from the works of Rand long before I had even heard of Rothbard. I love the philosophy that Rand brought to so many millions of people, but she was very weird and full of contradictions with respect to her personal life, to say the least.

Rothbard was a brilliant man. He could explain any issue from a strict, non-statist point of view, yet unlike Rand, his writings give me a sense that he was a warm and happy person. Someone I would like on a personal level. Rand wrote great works of fiction, but she seemed very cold. I recommend the movie "The Passion of Ayn Rand," to get a glimpse of what her life was like.

Elle said...

I feel the same way. Rothbard does something that Rand has never done for me... he makes me laugh and gives me a joyful feeling when I read him. I NEVER have felt that way with Rand. So I can appreciate Rand for bringing me to Rothbard (kind of weird, since she disliked him so much.) I have never seen "The Passion of Ayn Rand" but I will try to check it out. I own "A Sense of Life" - I'm sure it's different.

From reading Rothbard I also get the feeling that he was a happy person - I can imagine talking to him without him looking down on me or making me feel inferior. Eveh the pictures of Murray make him seem so likable and pleasant.

For me, he's easier to like. He was a rare, well-adjusted genius.

Brewrunner said...

I also own "A Sense of Life," and yes it is totally different. "The Passion of Ayn Rand," starring Eric Stoltz and Helen Mirren, is a realistic account of her life based on the biography written by Ms. Rand's one time close friend Barbara Branden

The movie really delves into her personal life. It is a pretty good movie, but I came away from it with a slightly lower degree of respect for her as a person.