Friday, October 01, 2004

Democracy

We’ve been taught to believe democracy is synonymous with liberty; the truth is they aren’t always compatible. Democracy is based on majority-rule, which, ultimately, amounts to mob-rule. I can’t hope to explain this any better than Jonah Goldberg, who wrote that, “in its purest form,” democracy means “51 percent of the people can pee in the cornflakes of 49 percent of the people.”

In other words, majority-rule means the rights and opinions of those in the minority can be tossed in the garbage like so many hanging chads before them—all in the name of the greater whole. And when I refer to “those in the minority,” I don’t necessarily mean ethnic minorities, though that’s certainly one example. But I am also talking about economic minorities here—rich and poor alike. And I am talking about any other types of minorities you can think of. It doesn’t really matter which group you choose. When I say “those in the minority,” it even includes those in the majority who are forced to cater to those in the minority—which is where political correctness often comes in.

http://www.readjdm.com/main/jdm/more/195/

No comments: